Our ZEALOUS God (KRISTEN TEE 2010)
How is Jesus ZEALOUS?
- He is enthusiastically and intently focused on the word of the Father. He is passionate, unyielding in resolve – ZEALOUS.
What is God ZEALOUS about?
1. HIS PEOPLE
- He loves them unconditionally and is zealous that they may have an intimate relationship with him. So zealous is he that none should perish that he gave his Son to suffer, die and be raised from the dead for the salvation of the world.
[John 3:16-17] “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.”
- He is so zealous for his people that though they are unfaithful time and time again, God does not cease to call them and pursue them. Time and time again, the LORD declares “Return, faithless people.” He wants to bless them and despite their rejection of him, God still desires them. [Jeremiah 11-22]
- God is zealous for the good of his people. He delivered them from Egypt, from Babylon, and provided supernaturally for them – food and water. He delivered David from his enemies and in his suffering, Paul received peace and fulfillment from God. Though we cannot always understand it, we can be secure in knowing God’s every thought towards us is good. For “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are [his] ways higher than [our] ways and [his] thoughts than [our] thoughts.” [Isaiah 55:9]
2. HIS KINGDOM
- God is zealous to establish his kingdom on earth and he wants to do it soon. He says “Behold, I am coming soon!” [Revelation 22:7,12,20] he will “bring all things in heaven and earth under one head, even Christ.” [Ephesians 1:10]
- He wants to impart this same zeal for his kingdom to us. Hence, Jesus teaches his disciples to pray “your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.” [Matthew 6:9]
- God is LOVE. “Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.” [1 John 3:8]. His Kingdom is one of love. It will not tolerate things that are not of love. These things will not enter the gates of the New Jerusalem.
“Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates of the city. Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.” [Revelation 22:14-15]
When the time comes, Jesus will enter as a king on a white horse to take the final victory over darkness [Revelation 19:11-16]. The battle is raging even now as God fights for us. Father and Son are working to prepare the nations.
“Jesus said to them, “My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I, too, am working.” [John 5:17]
3. HIS REVELATION
- God eagerly desires that we should know him. He lavishes revelation of his glory and majesty upon those who seek him. God says, “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.” [Matthew 7:7]
- The Bible contains many names of God and he speaks his character to us through it, and in the way he works in our lives.
“The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out.” [Proverbs 18:15]
- Jesus longs to share his zeal with us that we may share his desires and work alongside him.
“Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.” [Galatians 5:25]
What does God’s ZEAL do?
1. GIVES US STRENGTH
- Our zeal wears us out
“My zeal wears me out for my enemies ignore your words.” [Psalm 119:139]
But the fire of God’s zeal in unquenchable.
“O LORD, your hand is lifted high, but they do not see it. Let them see your zeal for your people and be put to shame; let the fire reserved for your enemies consume them.” [Isaiah 26:11]
- Therefore, let us be consumed with the fire of the LORD and though the enemy torments us, he will fail because God, who is zealous for us, rescues us with his salvation.
“for zeal for your house consumes me, and the insults of those who insult you fall on me.” [Psalm 69:9]
- We stand firm in God who is our rock, salvation and fortress. In him, we cannot be shaken.
“He alone is my rock, and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.” [Psalm 62:2]
2. HIS KINGDOM WILL BE ESTABLISHED
- Isaiah 9:7
“Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David’s throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the LORD ALMIGHTY will accomplish this.”
3. HE WILL TRIUMPH OVER HIS ENEMIES
- Isaiah 42:13
“The LORD will march out like a mighty man, like a warrior he will stir up his zeal; with a shout he will raise the battle cry and will triumph over his enemies.”
- God is zealous about me; Let me be filled with zeal for him
- God is zealous for his people; May I be filled with love for the people of this world – my brothers and sisters in Christ, and the unsaved.
- God is zealous for his Kingdom; I will be a vessel for the work of my LORD
- God is zealous for his revelation; Let my soul search and thirst after God