Wedding day came and went quickly, in a blur, but not without meaning. Leading up to the day, I had been asking the Lord to show me something more of how He saw His bride, the church. I wanted to know how He saw the fulfilment of her being, of His love in her.
- [John 17:26] – “And I have declared to them Your name, and will declare it, that the love with which You loved Me may be in them, and I in them.”
- [1 John 4:17] – “Love has been perfected among us in this: that we may have boldness in the day of judgement; because as He is, so are we in this world.”
- [Revelation 7:9-10] – “…and behold, a great multitude, which no one could number, of all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues, standing before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, with palm branches in their hands, and crying out in a loud voice, saying, “Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!””
I had been asking that God would be present at our wedding, that His voice, and His word would be heard, and that His presence would be felt. In none of these things did God fail, but our Lord Jesus was present from the beginning of the day, and we both knew it. The one thing that clearly stood out to me during that day, and even now remains a clear message is this: “When we see His face, it’s gonna be worth it all!” On that day, when we stand face to face with Jesus, able to experience the love of His being more than imaginable in our current mortal bodies, it will be worth everything. There will be no trial, no tribulation, no riches, power or anything else that will be able to even come close to His glory and His majesty, but ALL will bow before Him and acknowledge His headship.
[Philippians 2:10-11] – “…that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”
On that day, there will be present those who feared the Lord, demonstrated love towards Him in their lives on earth and who would enter into the fullness of His love, being made perfect in it. Others, however, will have both the fear of God and His righteous judgement fall upon them.
- [Joel 2:11] – “The Lord gives voice before His army,
For His camp is very great;
For strong is the One who executes His word.
For the day of the Lord is great and very terrible;
Who can endure it?”
- [Revelation 19:11] – “Now I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse. And He who sat on him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war.”
- [1 John 4:18] – “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love.”
Throughout our wedding day, there were unexpected blessings, and there were also a few things that, despite all our planning, didn’t quite turn out as hoped. Yet, I realised this – that none of these things really mattered; they were temporary, and would soon be gone and poorly remembered even. One thing would remain – that was the love and covenant of marriage which bound my husband and me. Our relationship before God, grown in the trials and journey of wedding planning, would continue through more life experiences, and journey through more revelation together with God as we promised it before Him from that day forward and forevermore. The things we have on earth now are temporary. I like to consider time on earth as training; training for something more important, more permanent, and more magnificent than what we have now. I consider my time on earth training, and preparation for eternity with Jesus, and I know it’s gonna be worth it all!
“One thing I have desired of the Lord,
That will I seek:
That I may dwell in the house of the Lord
All the days of my life,
To behold the beauty of the Lord,
And to inquire in His temple.”
“As for a man, his days are like grass;
As flower of the field, so he flourishes.
For the wind passes over it, and it is gone,
And its place remembers it no more.
But the mercy of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting
On those who fear Him,
And His righteousness to children’s children.”
Two songs came into my head as wedding day ran its course, and I have included some of the lyrics below.
(1) Rita Springer’s “Worth It All”
“It’s gonna be worth it,
It’s gonna be worth it,
When I see Your face,
It’s gonna be worth it all.”
(2) Hillsong’s “We the Redeeemed”
“Singing glorious, glorious One You have saved us
Honour and Power and Praise to the Saviour
You are the Answer, You are the Answer”
These are reminders once again of the incredible love Jesus has for us, a reminder of His promises that never fail, and an encouragement to us as we remember the faithfulness and attentiveness of our wonderful Saviour. As we journey together as husband and wife, as witnesses of God’s grace on earth, and as His beloved son and daughter, we remember His unsurpassable love over us, and over this whole universe. We have pledged to persevere in love toward each other and toward God remembering that, when we stand before Him in that day, face to face with His full glory, it’s gonna be worth it all.