The Interceding Spirit
(Kristen Tee, 2012)
Why does the Spirit intercede?
1. For the Glory of God
- (John 16:14) “He will glorify me because it is from me that he will receive what he will make known to you.”
- When the Spirit intercedes, things are moved to fall into the will of God and this brings glory to Him.
2. For the Encouragement of Men
- (Romans 8:26) “In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans”
- (Isaiah 53:6) “We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to our own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.”
- Because of our weakness in sin and in the flesh, the Spirit intercedes so our hearts and minds may be stayed in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:7)
How does the Spirit intercede?
1. In accordance with the will of God
- (Romans 8:27, Ephesians 1:9-10, 3:4-6)
- The mystery of God’s will à To bring all things under the headship of Jesus
- The mystery of Christ à Jews and Gentiles share as members of one body and one promise in Christ
2. Works an inward groaning in us à focuses us on our hope in Jesus à patient endurance
- (Romans 8:23-25, Revelation 1:9, Philippians 3:12-14)
3. Strengthens our inner being
- (Ephesians 3:16-17) “I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith.”
4. Reveals the wisdom and truth of God
- (1 Corinthians 2:6-16, Ephesians 1:17-19)
5. Reminds us of the Word and the things we have been taught
- (John 14:26) “But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.”
- At various times, he brings to mind particular passages from the Bible, or reminds us of past experiences with the Lord, conveys the words of the Lord to us.
6. Sings over us and inspires songs in our hearts à transforms the position of our heart
- (Psalm 42:8) “By day the Lord directs his love, at night his song is with me – a prayer to the God of my life.”
- (Psalm 40:3) “He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear the Lord and put their trust in him.”
- This is transformation of our heart position from rebellion to obedience, anguish to joy, mourning to praising, hatred to love.
7. Provides the way out from temptation
- (1 Corinthians 10:13) “No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to man, And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.”
8. Cries “Come Lord Jesus” and intercedes with us for the coming of God’s Kingdom
- (Revelation 22:17)